Frequently Asked Questions
Please navigate through the questions below to find out more information, alternatively, you can download our Course Fact Sheet.
If you still have questions, please feel free to contact the Worthstone offices via our contact details.
How do I buy the manual?
The manual is currently available to order now via our website.
How will this course benefit me?
As a result of this course you will be able to:
- Develop the effective and powerful questions to uncover your clients’ social objectives
- Engage in insightful values-based investment discussions with clients helping develop deeper relationships and relevance
- Build a compartmentalised and complete social impact investment process; keeping it simple, robust and standardised
- Incorporate SITR as a tool within the financial plan from an understanding of the unique benefits and risks to be considered when utilising this investment type
- Evidence competence by identifying and communicating with clarity the different types of social investment products and associated risks.
How will this course benefit my employer?
Once you have successfully completed this training you will be able to appreciate and apply your new-found knowledge in the most profound development that we have seen in financial services in a generation. It will:
- Increase your knowledge on how investor perspectives are changing and how you can now confidently meet this challenge to deliver a more holistic advice process and appropriately position social investment within client conversations
- Equip you with the knowledge to effectively compare and contrast social return and financial return and differentiate and explain the different types of social investment products
- Prepare you to clearly articulate the financial mechanisms, associated risks and specialist language pertaining to SITR and social impact.
What does this training cover?
The chapters cover the following topics:
- Understanding and identifying your client’s social goals and motivations
- Comparing types of investment products to achieve social objectives
- Segmenting the client’s investment pot and explaining risk
- Blending social impact investments with an investment portfolio
- A comprehensive technical guide to Social Investment Tax Relief (SITR)
- Measuring and reporting social impact for investors and advisers.
How is it delivered?
The manual is currently available only in hard copy and we estimate that it would take around 18 hours to complete through individual self-guided study.
Who would it be useful for?
The Adviser Competency Training is aimed at financial advisers who wish to engage and advise in the area of social investment.
What are the entry criteria?
There are no specific entry criteria for purchasing the manual but we advise that applicants should be able to show:
- A minimum of two years’ client service experience (not necessarily client-facing)
- Client service experience to include the preparation and delivery of a financial plan:
- goal identification and prioritisation
- recommendation of solutions
- investment recommendations.
- A desire to understand social investment and its potential role within the financial planning process
- Achievement, or be in the process of achieving, a minimum Level 4 professional qualification.
How long is the training?
Although everyone’s learning speeds vary, we estimate that it would take around 18 hours to complete self-guided learning via this manual.
How much is it?
The manual is currently available for £150.00 (inc. postage and packing to a UK address), please order via our website.
Is there an assessment?
Yes. Assessment is currently available at any time and is carried out by completing the Test Question Answer Sheet provided at the end of the manual and scanning or posting a copy to the Worthstone offices.
Do I get a certificate?
You will be entitled to receive a Certificate in Social Investment and accompanying marque providing you achieve an acceptable pass mark via an open-book, 70-question, multiple choice assessment.
What if I fail the test?
If you fail the test you are allowed to retake it one further time.
Is it structured CPD and/or accredited?
Yes, in our opinion the manual offers structured CPD. It has clearly defined ‘Learning Outcomes’ at the start of each chapter and multiple-choice questions to answer (70 in total). It has been designed by an Accredited Trainer using a process where we identified the ‘required performance and competency standards’ which were mapped across to the learning objectives therefore the material is focused on additional requirements for social impact investment and does not duplicate content a level 4 qualified adviser should already know.
Yes, it is now endorsed by the CISI for 18 hours of structured CPD.
What have other people said about it?
Please see our reviews or leave one yourself.
Who are the authors?
You can read the bios of our industry expert authors to find out more.
Who are Worthstone?
Worthstone is an award winning social business with a vision to see social impact investment established as an integral part of the financial planning process for individual investors in the UK. Our exclusive focus is on providing a specialist social impact investment service for financial planners, which opens up the opportunity to offer this discrete area of advice, otherwise not possible or cost effective for most firms. To find out more, visit the Worthstone homepage.